If you’re considering purchasing new windows or doors, there are still federal tax credits available for 2011. Although the new tax law has reduced the amount of the credit and modified the criteria, you are still eligible for tax credits for making your home more energy efficient.
Purchasing Custom Built ENERGY STAR® qualified products help you save twice — immediately on the tax credit and then over time with reduced energy bills.
- A homeowner tax credit of 10% of the product’s cost (NOT including installation) up to $500, with a $200 cap on windows
- Products must carry the ENERGY STAR® logo, and must be installed between January 1st, 2011 and December 31st, 2011
- Limits consumers to a lifetime maximum tax credit of $500. This lifetime limit is for any combination of tax credit qualifying products (windows, doors, insulation, HVAC, roofing, etc) from Jan 1, 2006, to Dec. 31, 2011. Consumers who have already reached or exceeded the $500 limit are not eligible to claim the credit in 2011
How to get your credit:
- Purchase ENERGY STAR® qualified window or door products
- Keep the NFRC label that accompanies your product, OR print the manufacturer certification statement for your records
- Provide your invoice with the labor separated from the rest of the job to your tax preparer and claim your credit on your 2011 taxes
For the latest information on the tax credit, be sure to visit the ENERGY STAR® website